When we feel frustrated or angry, it is human nature to want to “vent” and share our challenges with others. It helps us feel less alone in our trials and relieve some stress, but is venting always helpful?
I can remember a time when some friends and I went to dinner. It was so nice to get together with my girlfriends and enjoy a glass of wine and eat some delicious food that I didn’t have to cook myself. Unfortunately, the conversation quickly turned into what felt like a husband bashing session.
I remember thinking how terrible I felt that everyone seemed to be airing their dirty laundry. At that moment, I told myself that I wanted to be very intentional when I was “venting” with others.
In this episode, I share my perspective about “venting” conversations and when they are helpful and when they become simply gossip.
In Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- When venting is helpful and when it’s just gossip
- Why it’s comforting to know others are struggling also
- How repeated venting with friends can damage relationships
- The impact that venting can have on future connections
- The role of victims vs. villains in a venting conversation
- How to shift your mindset to find a resolution instead of just complaining
- Suggestions for seeking support and feedback in a positive way
After listening in, I hope that you will pause and think about the purpose of your venting before your next conversation with a friend. It will definitely make a positive impact on your mindset and your relationships.
How We Can Connect:
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other leading ladies like you to find the podcast!